Dark.Light

Dark...LIGHT!

Dark...LIGHT!

This was a game we played with our daughter Chelsea.
We played the dark - light game when driving down to long Island to visit my parents.

Dark.....
LIGHT!

Whenever we went through a dark tunnel Chelsea would squeal DARRRRK!
When we emerged - LIGHT!

Dark...Light
Dark...Light




Papa and Ben


We would make the four hour drive to see my parents regularly.
Having the only grandchildren at the time, made us very welcomed guests.
And, of course, the children loved their grandparents, Nana and Papa.
Whether it was going to the ocean
Watching their cable TV!
Or staying at a "real" hotel with continental breakfast, it didn't matter.
They knew they were going to get spoiled and hugged and kissed like crazy.

Dark.
LIGHT


Brown from the beach. Captivated by all the cable tv channels!

Papa and Bryan
Nana and Chelsea



Dark
Light

Now I make the trip alone.
Either on a bus
Or by train.
Still going through tunnels
Still going from 
Dark
to
Light.














Now trips to see my parents are no longer something to look forward to.
I even discourage my now grown children from visiting their Nana and Papa.
Right or wrong, I don't want them to remember them as they are now



Heading closer and closer
to  NYC
Where my parents "retired" to. :)
My father still worked at his office. 
My Mom worked the city!
Taking classes
Visiting museums
And Galleries
And plays
And long walks,
Dining out
Drinking
Smoking
Living

Light.......dark......

Their world is much smaller now
My Dad talks about the "other home" he has.
And he might not recognize one of his kids...
But
There's a glimmer
Every now and then.
An expected, funny joke
Or a vivid memory 
Is correctly recalled
And just for a moment
I think, My Dad is still there!
Just for a moment.
He's 89
With lung cancer
And dementia

Light.....dark...

Mom sleeps
No strength for walks
Beyond the lobby.
Dependent 
Like a child
On her care takers.
Lovely women
Who never knew her  
When she was
Smart and Sharp
And definitely bitchy!
But that's not her anymore

Light.
dark
Light
dark


So...this is our life now.
Visiting often.
Dreading the visits
But happy my brothers and I
Can help them
And comfort them
They did it for us.
Not really a big deal

Parent becomes child
Child becomes parent
Light
Light
Light

_________________________________________________________________________________
                                                                                   Me and the bros

Bryan, Chelsea and Ben at Nana and Papa's apartment.

Mom and Dad at Chelsea's Wedding in 2009.
Their last excursion out of NYC
Morty and Bobbe's engagement Picture



Meeting their great-grandson Jackson for the first time.
Mom's birthday present!
Celebrating Mom's birthday all together.

Chelsea and Papa celebrating his 88th birthday (March 2nd)
and her 34th birthday. (March 3rd)
(He put on his tuxedo. :)
Looking pretty good for 88!



Comments